Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Wonderful Event

Something happened to me today that was very inspiring and a true piece of evidence that God is watching, and knows you in depth.
Today, I was feeling very much an individual. Last night I went to bed again without reading my scriptures, so I was already off of what was usual. So I felt like I should be totally independent, I don't need anyone, I don't want anyone. I did not feel like a full person. I kept on having lines of my poem run through my head, and I suppose I was taking it a little bit too seriously. "I do not deserve a haven of heaven, rather a hole of hell" I really did feel that I should be somewhere where I had to always bear my teeth and work my hardest, with no thought to anything else. I was in a mechanical, non-loving, all work mode. I was me, I didn't need help, I was going to make it through everything by myself. I didn't want to talk to people a lot, cause I didn't deserve to, and I felt I should be working constantly.
Sixth period I am an Elementary Aide, I go over to Pahvant and I assist the teachers with whatever they want me to do. As I walked over I saw a lot of cars pass, and after every one my mood was "Fine, go past, strange that everyone goes past, that's cause I don't seem like the kind of guy who wants a ride, that's good! Or maybe it isn't...something isn't right"
I got to the elementary, walked in, signed in, and began walking to my first class room. As I walked toward it I noticed this line of chairs and a stand with books on it, in the hallway. As I read the sign on the stand it said "If I'm busy with another conference, listen to your child read out loud the....." Crap, today is parent teacher conference's! Geh! I knew that! Wil didn't go to school today, so I should've known. Gosh dang it. So I sat down on one of the chairs in the hallway, and rested for a second, my calves hurted. As I was sitting in the chair I began to hear the conference in the room.
Teacher: "So you want to be a trapper when you grow up?"
Kid: "Yeah, it'll be the easiest thing, I just have to shoot an animal and sell it's skin."
Dad:"You know you need to actually do this, you can't be a trapper"
Kid:"Dad! Yeah I can, I can be like Buffalo Bill I can..."
Teacher:"You need to actually do you work if you want to, you need to.."
Then I couldn't hear what exactly they were saying, so I began thinking about what I was going to do when I got back to school. All of the sudden the kid came out, and he was cussing out his Dad to his full capability: "Dad, you are such a jerk! Why didn't you support me? You know I think we should trade places for a day, I'll sit around all day and play on the computer, and you can come here and deal with all these teachers, every day. You are mean to me. You are a mean jerk. You're a mean person, Hey! He's a mean person"
The kid was in the hall cussing out his Dad. Then I saw his Dad starting to come out the door. I noticed two things about him immediately, One: He was wearing army issue boots. Two: He seemed to have some sort of disability, he was swaying strangely, at first I thought he had a mental disability. As he began to walk out he was constantly leaning on a wall with one hand. I then realized what was going on. After a quick over look I noticed several signs and one assumption. The man had the upper body of a trained military man, he was wearing army boots, and he had a very passive face, even during the attacks of his son, his legs didn't go with any sense of control, his feet seemed to work well enough. I assumed this much, this guy was ex-military, then he acquired this disability, which took him back home and a home job. Which means he had all the physical capabilities a man can have, had a good job, and had respect, he didn't need help from anyone, now he always had to depend on something, and had to sit at a computer all day. As he came out he was leaning against the wall, as he came close to me he simply said, "I'm sorry, but I need to lean on you." No hesitation, no pride in his voice. He was humble, and accepting, he never even gave it a second thought. This man was totally acceptive of his situation. He went past where I was and continued to use the wall. When he came to the 4-way part in the hall, he took one step into the empty hall, locked his legs, and you could see he was thinking, "I'm going to fall". I came up behind him, offered him my arm and simply said "Sir?" He immediately said "Thank you" No hesitation, no pride in his voice, accepting, humble. I helped him along the rest of the hall. I realized then that this guy was greater than I could be, this guy took his trial, and accepted what help he needed.
I was humbled very much, and decided that I could learn to be more like him.

2 comments:

JaMiEj said...

Sweet sweet boy.. You're always being looked after. That is an amazing story. Remember it! Love you to DEATH. You're coming to see me, right? ;)

R said...

That is a wonderful event. :) Love you, Tom.
It's good to know Heavenly Father loves us.